Wild Mushroom Velouté
This soup gets its rich and creamy texture from pureed mushrooms and without a speck of cream in sight.
- 2 pounds chanterelle mushrooms, chopped
- 2 pounds button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 bottle white wine (750 ml)
- 1 white onion, diced
- 4 sticks celery, diced
- 2 leeks just the white, diced
- 1 head garlic peeled and sliced
- 3 liters chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons medium miso
- 1 sachet of 2 fresh bay leaves and 2 sprigs tarragon
- Fresh lemon juice, to taste
- Butter, to taste
- Brandy, to taste
In a wide rondeau pot or dutch oven, roast the mushrooms so that they begin to color—not too much though as we don’t want a hard-roasted flavor.
Add the garlic and cook for a few minutes, then add the remaining vegetables. Sweat until vegetables are soft.
Deglaze with the white wine and reduce by half. Add the remaining ingredients and cook until it has thickened slightly. Let cool to room temperature, then blend until smooth (blending when it is cool will preserve the dark color).
Warm soup thoroughly before serving and add butter and lemon at the last minute. Finish with a splash of brandy for a little extra pizazz!