This vegan version features tons of vegetables–baby bok choy, carrots, mushrooms, baby spinach–and bite-size pieces of tofu.
Ramen soup is having its moment right now, no surprise, since there’s so much to love about ramen. We replace the usual chicken or pork broth with a vegetable broth that we infuse with dried mushrooms, miso paste, and tamari sauce creating a savory umami flavor. Add to the bowl those delicious ramen noodles and you’re ready for whatever winter brings.
Vegan Ramen Soup With Tofu
- 1 package (12-to 14- ounce) extra firm organic tofu patted dry and cut into 3/4 - 1-inch cubes
- 10 ounces ramen noodles
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- 2 tablespoons tamari sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons organic sesame oil
- 1/2 cup chopped Spanish onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup dried porcini mushrooms soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes, drained, then roughly chopped
- 1 bunch scallions thinly sliced (green and white parts separated)
- 3 carrots cut into slices on the diagonal
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound baby bok choy trimmed, leaves separated
- 2 ounces baby spinach
- Sriracha sauce optional
- Set a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange the tofu in a single layer on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, flipping once halfway through. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the noodles according to the directions on the package. Drain and rinse under cold water and set aside.
- Whisk together the miso paste and tamari sauce and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat the olive and sesame oils over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, and ginger and cook for 5 minutes. Add 1 cup of vegetable broth and stir for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, white scallion slices, and carrots and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining 5 cups of vegetable broth and 2 cups of water. Add 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, the miso and tamari mixture, and stir to incorporate.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Add the bok choy, spinach, and tofu and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Divide the noodles into individual serving bowls, top with the soup and vegetables and garnish with the green scallion slices. Pass the sriracha separately.