Not all desserts need butter, eggs, or cream
Adapted from my mom’s recipe, this is an excellent example of a “naturally” vegan dish everyone enjoys. No butter or eggs needed for this creamy sweet treat. For vegans, double-check the sugar—some are whitened using bone char and not suitable for true vegans.
Vegan Harina de Coco (Sweet Coconut Pudding)
- 4 cups full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup fine cornmeal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- Ground cinnamon
- In a medium pot (off heat), whisk together the coconut milk and cornmeal for 5 minutes.
- Place the pot over medium-high heat and add the sugar and cinnamon sticks. Whisk continuously until the mixture begins to thicken, about 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, remove and discard the cinnamon sticks and stir in the coconut extract. Divide the pudding among four dessert dishes. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon and serve immediately.