Gluten-free flour mix and plant-based yogurt make pancakes everyone can enjoy.
When Mackenzie Feldman thinks of childhood, she remembers happy Sunday meetings with her grandma at the local coffee house, where they always conversed over pancakes. Unfortunately, the brunch usually left her feeling sick and stuffed to the brim. This gluten-free version keeps her satisfied and feeling healthy. She also made it vegan so everyone can enjoy a stack.
Vegan Gluten-Free Blueberry Banana Pancakes
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ¼ cup nut milk (plus 2 to 3 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup plant-based vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup gluten-free flour mix (purchased, or see below to mix your own)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
For cooking and serving
- Coconut oil
- 1 banana (sliced)
- ½ cup blueberries
- Maple syrup
Gluten-Free Flour Mix
- ½ cup oat flour
- 2 tablespoons brown rice flour
- 2 tablespoons white rice flour
- 2 tablespoons sweet rice flour
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- ⅛ teaspoon xanthan gum
- Soak the ground flaxseeds in 2 tablespoons water for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mash the banana with a fork. Add the flaxseed mixture, coconut oil, nut milk, vanilla extract, and yogurt. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, combine the gluten-free flour mix with the baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well with a fork. Fold the banana mixture in with the dry ingredients. Thin the batter to the desired consistency with extra nut milk.
- Coat a large frying pan with coconut oil and heat to medium/high. For each pancake, pour ¼ cup batter into frying pan, leaving space for the pancake to spread. Add the banana slices and 6 to 8 blueberries to each pancake. Flip the pancakes after 2 to 3 minutes. Cook until both sides are golden brown, 2 - 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately topped with more blueberries and bananas slices as you like and drizzled with maple syrup.
This recipe comes to us from Edible East Bay.