No joke, this vegan corn chowder takes about 15 minutes to cook.
There’s a smoky background to this vegan take on a classic corn chowder, which is sunny in both color and flavor. Using frozen sweet corn reduces the cooking time and it’s likely you’ll always have some in the freezer ready to make this hearty soup. Smoked paprika deepens the flavor of this chowder and makes it taste as though it has been cooking for hours, not for less than 15 minutes.
Vegan Sweet Corn Chowder
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 1 red bell pepper finely sliced
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon chile flakes
- 1 1/4 cups frozen sweet corn
- 3 1/2 cups hot vegetable stock
- 1 can (14-ounce) full-fat coconut milk
- 1 rounded teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 spring onions scallions, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 handful of fresh cilantro
- 1 lime quartered
- In a large pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, then throw the red pepper, celery, and chile flakes into the pan and cook until softened, 2-3 minutes.
- Tip in the sweet corn, vegetable stock, and coconut milk. Increase the heat to high. Stir through the smoked paprika, then partially cover with a lid. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and season with sea salt. Ladle half the soup into a blender and whirl until completely smooth. Pour the smooth half back into the unblended soup and combine. Serve hot with spring onions, cilantro, and a wedge of lime to garnish.