Zoodles and noodles—together at last.
There are two methods for making this summer one-dish pasta dinner: boil it all or sautee the zucchini while the pasta boils. The former is less work and more efficient dishes-wise, while the latter delivers a bit more zucchini flavor if you like that sort of thing.
In any case, the sauce is simple: egg yolk and Parmesan cheese “cooked” by the heat from the pasta and zucchini. Black pepper and fresh basil finish the whole thing off.
Note: eggs “cooked” this way are unlikely to reach the food safety temperature of 160°F; if that concerns you, skip this recipe or use pasteurized eggs, which are available at most grocery stores. For my part, since no one in my house is immune-compromised and we buy pastured eggs directly from a local farm I trust, I risk it.
- 1 pound spaghetti (regular, whole wheat, or gluten-free)
- 3 tablespoons salt, plus 1/2 teaspoon
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 pound zucchini
- 1 clove garlic or shallot
- 3 sprigs basil
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- Bring about 4 quarts of water to a boil. Add 3 tablespoons of the salt. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain but do not rinse.
- While the water comes to a boil, put the egg yolks, Parmesan, and pepper in a large serving bowl. Whisk until well combined. Put two large spoons or other utensils with which to toss the pasta in the bowl, and set the bowl near where you'll drain the pasta.
- Cut the zucchini into long noodle-like strips. Peel and mince the garlic (or shallot). Chop the basil.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the butter (or olive oil) and the garlic or shallot. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- If boiling: Take the frying pan off the heat, let cool a few minutes, then quickly stir into the egg and cheese mixture. Add to the noodles for the last 2 minutes of cooking time.
- If sauteeing: Add the zucchini to the garlic, stir to coat the zucchini with the butter, and cook, stirring frequently, until the zucchini is tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Immediately after you drain the pasta, dump it in the bowl with the egg and cheese. Toss vigorously to combine. If you sauteed the zucchini, add it to the mix and toss to combine again. Toss in the basil and serve immediately.