Classic crab salad gets a summer update with cucumber and sweet corn.
A bright yet balanced, lemon-y dressing gives this crab salad a nice zing, but it’s the diced bell pepper, cucumber, and fresh sweet corn kernels that make it scream “summer.” Be sure to make it a bit ahead of time so the flavors can blend in the fridge for a bit—just 30 minutes or so—before serving.
For the dressing
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled, minced, and mashed
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
For the salad
- 1 pound lump crab meat, picked through for shells
- ¼ cup diced red bell pepper
- ¼ cup diced English cucumber
- ¼ cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded and minced (optional)
- Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl or measuring cup and whisk until combined. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the crab, bell pepper, cucumber, corn, onion, herbs, and jalapeño (if using). Add dressing, stir gently to combine, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
*This recipe comes to us from Edible Sarasota. Photo by Kathryn Brass Piper.