These spicy pickled Brussels sprouts are inspired by the ban chan served with Korean meals.
Serve them as part of an appetizer spread—they add a burst of spicy freshness to any meat or cheese plate. To be clear: these aren’t real pickles. No fermentation takes place. A bit of salt, a bit of vinegar, all tossed together for a “pickled” effect without the time or fuss.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 small clove garlic minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon gochugaru Korean chile flakes*
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds optional