This is a delicious spicy dish—I love the heat of shishito peppers, especially not knowing whether the next hit will be sweet and peppery or sweet and POW!
It is a bit of a roulette-type situation, so be careful if you are not into spicy food. You can always use green bell pepper strips as a substitute. Enjoy!
Shrimp with Shishito Peppers Stir Fry
This shrimp stir fry recipe makes a delicious spicy dish—I love the heat of shishito peppers, especially not knowing whether the next hit will be sweet and peppery or sweet and POW!
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- pinch of sea salt flakes
- 1 garlic clove crushed and finely chopped
- 1 red chile seeded and finely chopped
- 7 ounces shishito peppers left whole
- 10 ounces cooked jumbo shrimp
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium light soy sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- pinch of sugar
- Heat a wok over high heat until smoking and add the canola oil.
- Add the salt and let it dissolve in the hot oil.
- Add the garlic and red chile and toss for a few seconds.
- Add the shishito peppers, toss for 30 seconds until they are seared on the outside and beginning to soften, then stir-fry for another minute.
- Add the cooked shrimp and toss for less than 1 minute (or cook raw shrimp for 2 to 3 minutes, depending on their size).
- Season with the mirin, the light soy sauce, lime juice, and sugar.
- Transfer to serving plates and serve on its own as an appetizer, or with jasmine rice as a main meal.
Recipes taken from Stir Crazy by Ching-He Huang. Published by Kyle Books, photography by Tamin Jones.