Did someone say Meatless Monday?
This may look like a single recipe, but in fact it delivers tons of options that my family loves. I regularly make the marinated tofu to accompany rice and greens, to stuff into sandwiches, or simply to snack on. And I like to serve the stir-fried vegetables over forbidden rice or noodles, alongside a piece of grilled salmon and, of course, tossed with the sesame miso tofu as I’ve done here. Hardly a week goes by when I haven’t used this recipe – one way or another. I find I need to double the tofu in this recipe to accommodate my sneaking tastes when it’s fresh out of the oven. Not that I’ve ever devoured it all before it even makes it to the recipe, but rest assured that your stir fry will be equally as delicious should the tofu accidentally become your appetizer, too.
Sesame Miso Tofu w/ Asian Greens
- 1 pound firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons mellow white miso
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons brown rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or brown rice syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 yellow onion, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1 cup snow peas
- 2 cups chopped bok choy
- 4 cups chopped Napa cabbage
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 11/2 cups mung bean sprouts, rinsed well
- Toasted sesame oil
- Wrap tofu in towel and gently press out excess liquid. Cut tofu into 1-inch cubes and place in 8-inch square casserole. In mixing bowl, whisk together all marinade ingredients. Pour over tofu and marinate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Transfer tofu to clean baking dish and roast 15 minutes. Do not discard marinade. Remove from oven, flip tofu pieces, coat with more marinade and return to oven to roast an additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside until ready to stir-fry.
- In wok or Dutch oven over high heat, stir-fry onion in 1 tablespoon oil 2 minutes. Add carrots and snow peas and stir-fry 1 minute or until bright orange and green. Remove all vegetables from wok and set aside. Add remaining tablespoon oil to wok and stir-fry bok choy and Napa cabbage 1 minute or until wilted. Fold in carrots, snow peas and tofu. Add tamari and mirin, toss and remove from heat. Add bean sprouts, drizzle with toasted sesame oil, toss and serve.