Roasting is a terrific method for unlocking the herbal flavor and creamy texture of celery root. By cooking celery root slices on the bottom oven rack at a high temperature, we were able to caramelize the exteriors and concentrate the flavors. Tangy yogurt, with reinforced brightness from both lemon juice and zest, complemented the rich and savory celery root. To finish, we sprinkled an aromatic combination of toasted sesame seeds, coriander, and dried thyme over the top before adding a fresh pop of whole cilantro leaves.
Roasted Celery Root with Yogurt and Sesame Seeds
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest plus 1 teaspoon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds toasted
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds toasted and crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 21/2 pounds celery root trimmed, peeled, halved, and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 425 degrees. Whisk yogurt, lemon zest and juice, and pinch salt together in bowl. In separate bowl, combine sesame seeds, coriander seeds, thyme, and pinch salt. Set both aside until ready to serve.
- Toss celery root with oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and arrange on rimmed baking sheet in single layer. Roast celery root until bottom sides toward back of oven are well browned, 25 to 30 minutes. Rotate baking sheet and continue to roast until bottom sides toward back of oven are well browned, 6 to 10 minutes.
- Use metal spatula to flip each piece and continue to roast until celery root is very tender and other sides are browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer celery root to serving platter. Drizzle celery root with yogurt sauce and sprinkle with seed mixture and cilantro. Serve.