Nothing says summer like a fruit crisp served on a sunny deck.
As delicious as this is fresh out of the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream melting alongside it, this crisp also makes a fine breakfast the next day, with a strong cup of coffee or tea.
- 1 pound rhubarb cut into ½-inch slices about 3 cups
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup almond flour
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 1 pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- Preheat an oven to 350°F. In a gratin or other baking dish, combine rhubarb, sugar, and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir the oats, almond flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. With your hands, work the butter into the oat mixture until the butter has softened and is incorporated into the oats. The mixture should feel soft and lumpy.
- Spread the topping evenly over the rhubarb and put it in the oven until the filling starts to bubble and topping starts to brown, about 50 minutes. Let the crisp cool for 20 minutes and serve warm.
*This recipe comes to us from Edible Delmarva.