Red velvet cake swirled into vanilla cake.
What’s not to love? This cake even need frosting it’s so good.
Red Velvet Marble Cake
- 3 cups flour
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 6 large eggs room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups full-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- In a large mixing bowl, using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer cream together softened butter, sugar and vanilla. Add the eggs, one at a time and mix well. Add the sour cream and combine. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula occasionally. In another bowl, sift the flour, salt and baking powder. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and combine well. Place 1/3 of the batter into a separate bowl. Gently fold in the cocoa powder, cider vinegar, red food coloring and baking soda into the reserved 1/3 of the batter.
- Spray a 12-cup Bundt pan with nonstick baking spray and dust with flour. Carefully tap out any excess flour.
- Scoop the batter, alternating between red velvet and vanilla. Use a butter knife to swirl the cake batters together creating a marble pattern. Do not touch the sides or bottom of the pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for about 55 to 60 minutes or until when a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes on a baking rack. Remove from the pan and let cool completely.
Photographs and recipes from A Farmgirl’s Table by Jessica Robinson, reprinted by permission of Gibbs Smith.