Red lentils are low in calories, rich in iron and folate and an excellent source of protein. This red lentil soup is simply seasoned with onions and garlic and finished with a savory garnish of mint and shaved Gruyère AOP.
Red Lentil and Mint Soup with Shaved Gruyère AOP
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup red lentils, soaked in 4 cups water for 2 hours
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 3 1/2 ounces Gruyère AOP
- 4 teaspoons mint, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onions and tomatoes for 5 minutes.
- Add the drained, pre-soaked lentils. Pour in the vegetable stock and simmer everything together for 15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Blend the soup until smooth and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, with a vegetable peeler, shave the Gruyère AOP on top and garnish with the finely chopped mint.