A German-style vinegar and mustard dressing gets freshened up with a ton of herbs.
We used teeny tiny “marble potatoes” for the photo of this salad, but using potatoes big enough so they need to be cut up to be bite-size is even better—they soak up more of the flavor from the dressing.
The complete lack of mayo in this potato salad means it can be left out at the picnic or potluck without too much worry of things turning ugly.
- 2 pounds yellow Finn or Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 small red onion
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds optional
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar divided
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt plus more for cooking
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch chives
- 1 cup flatleaf parsley leaves
- ½ cup fresh dill leaves
- Cut the potatoes into equal size large (big bite) chunks. Put the potatoes in a large pot, cover with about 8 cups of water and add about 2 tablespoons salt. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and return to the hot pot to dry out a bit. Toss with ¼ cup of the vinegar and let cool.
- While the potatoes cook, peel the onion and cut into thin slices. Put them in a medium bowl and cover with cold water. Let sit about 10 minutes, drain, and dry on layers of paper towels. If using the caraway seeds, heat a small frying pan over medium-high heat and toast the seeds until fragrant, about 1 minute. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining vinegar, mustard, pepper, and salt. Whisk in the olive oil. Pour over the potatoes and toss to coat thoroughly. Let sit about 30 minutes so the potato soak up most of the dressing.
- Add the onions and toss just to combine.
- Roughly chop the chives, parsley, and dill. Add to the salad. Sprinkle with the caraway seeds, if using, and serve.
Calories: 127kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 204mg | Potassium: 546mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 630IU | Vitamin C: 23.9mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 4.4mg