Sweet summer melon becomes a refreshing beverage with a visit to the blender.
Any melon works here—both watermelon and cantaloupe are classic choices for agua fresca—but honeydew’s more delicate flavor is remarkably light and drinkable, and when combined with the additional green from the lime and the mint, it just plain looks refreshing. Feel free to make it ahead and cool it in the fridge, just know that the mixture will separate—a quick stir will bring it back together.
Melon Mint Agua Fresca
- 1 honeydew melon
- 2 limes
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- About ¾ cup loosely packed mint leaves
- Chilled still or sparkling water optional
- Peel, seed, and chop the melon. Put the chunks on a baking sheet and put in the freezer while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Zest the limes—large strips of zest will be easiest to deal with. Put the zest, sugar, and 1 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and stir to dissolve the sugar. Transfer the mixture to a metal bowl and let cool.
- Put the syrup, the melon, and ½ cup of the mint leaves in a blender. Cut the 2 zested limes in half and juice them into the blender as well. Whirl to blend thoroughly. You may need to work in batches. When everything is whirled and blended, pour into a pitcher or other serving vessel. Dilute with chilled still or sparkling water to taste, if you like.
- Serve over ice, garnish the remaining mint.