A classic way to make delicious use of lovage.
This super simple, slightly creamy soup is a classic lovage preparation, highlighting its celery-like flavor is a most pleasing way. Learn more about lovage here.
This simple soup recipe puts that savory lovage flavor at the forefront.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 4 tablespoons chopped lovage leaves
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Lovage leaves (for garnish)
- Melt the butter in a sauté pan or medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the diced onions and cook, stirring, about five minutes until slightly translucent. Stirring constantly, sprinkle the lovage and flour over the onions, cook 1 more minute.
- Add the broth in small amounts, stirring until the mixture is smooth after each addition. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the milk. Slowly bring the soup back up to a warm serving temperature, but do not allow to boil. Season to taste. Garnish with additional lovage leaves to serve.
Calories: 145kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 21mg | Sodium: 511mg | Potassium: 277mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 610IU | Vitamin C: 17.7mg | Calcium: 94mg | Iron: 1mg