Easy, hearty, and wonderfully nutritious.
This is such a hearty, healthy, satisfying soup––and it’s so delicious. Did we neglect to mention that it’s also incredibly easy to cook and inexpensive to make––and that it tastes even better the next day and the day after that?
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 quart low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can (28 oz) puréed tomatoes
- 1 piece 2-inch Parmesan cheese rind (optional if you want to make this vegan)
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch kale stems and tough center ribs removed, leaves roughly chopped (about 6 packed cups)
- 2 cans (15-oz each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until slightly translucent, 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the carrots, celery, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour in the vegetable broth and puréed tomatoes. Add the Parmesan rind, thyme, bay leaves, 2 teaspoons of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, cover the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Add the cannellini beans and kale and cook for 15 minutes more, stirring occasionally, so that the kale wilts. Discard the Parmesan rind, bay leaves, and thyme. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.