What better way to start your morning with a serving of fruit than with a delicious, protein-packed breakfast strata?
This dish is full of tart raspberries and a hint of refreshing lemon and is lovely topped with a dollop of Greek yogurt and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Fresh fruit and protein-packed breakfast strata.
Servings: 6 servings
- 3 tbsp/ 43 g grass-fed butter or ghee, melted plus some butter for greasing dish
- 4 oz/ 113 g cream cheese room temperature
- 4 pastured eggs room temperature
- 2 cups/ 473 ml whole milk
- ½ cup/ 165 g honey or maple syrup warmed
- 1 loaf of day-old bread cut into 1" (3-cm) cubes
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2½ cups/ 308 g fresh raspberries divided
- 1½ cups/ 355 ml water
- With butter, grease a 1½-quart (1.5-L) casserole dish (I use one with a glass lid) that fits inside the Instant Pot. Set aside.
- Add the butter, cream cheese and eggs to a very large mixing bowl. Break the egg yolks with a spatula or wooden spoon and stir the mixture to fully combine. Add the milk and honey or maple syrup and stir to combine. Pour the bread cubes into the mixing bowl, then add the lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla extract and 2 cups (246 g) of the raspberries. Using a spatula, gently fold and mix all the ingredients together.
- Pour the mixture into a greased casserole dish. Place the glass lid on top of the casserole dish. Place the trivet inside the Instant Pot. Pour 1½ cups (355 ml) of water into the Instant Pot. Carefully transfer the covered casserole dish to the Instant Pot on top of the trivet. Place the lid on the Instant Pot, making sure the steam release valve is sealed. Press the “Manual” setting and decrease the time using the “-” button until you reach 20 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot is done and beeps, press “Keep Warm/Cancel.” Allow the Instant Pot to release pressure naturally for 15 minutes. Using an oven mitt, “quick release”/open the steam release valve. When the steam venting stops and the silver dial drops, carefully open the lid.
- Carefully remove the casserole dish from the Instant Pot and remove the lid. Optional but highly recommended: Place the casserole dish under a preheated broiler for about 3 to 5 minutes to crisp the top of the strata.
- Serve immediately and top with the remaining ½ cup (62 g) fresh raspberries.
Gluten-free breads are easy to find at almost all natural food stores, as well as some mainstream grocery stores. A crusty baguette or sourdough is my favorite for this recipe, but a good-quality white bread will work well, too. You will need a 1½-quart (1.5-L) casserole dish or heat-safe glass or stainless steel bowl that fits the Instant Pot for this strata. You will also need a lid. I use a casserole dish that comes with a glass lid. If you don’t have a lid for your dish or bowl, you can place a piece of parchment paper over the top of the strata, then cover and secure it with foil. Used with permission from The Art of Great Cooking with Your Instant Pot by Emily Sunwell-Vidaurri, Page Street Publishing Co. 2017. Photo credit: Emily Sunwell-Vidaurri