One of the simplest fermented beverages to make is a whey soda. It combines the probiotic properties of whey with tasty fruits and sweeteners to create a bubbly drink teeming with good bacteria and enzymes. It is one of the best fermented foods to get skeptics started on. Make fermented fruit juices, lemonades or limeades, ginger ales or fermented herbal teas. All you need is whey and a sweetened liquid.
- ½ gallon fruit juice
- ½ cup whey
USING HERBS OR FLAVORINGS
- ½ gallon steeped herbal tea or water
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup whey
- Lemon, lime, ginger, etc.
- If using juice, simply combine the juice and whey in a half-gallon (2-L) jar. If using sweetened teas or water, steep the tea at a rate of 1 teaspoon (1 g) of herb per cup of water. Strain and add the sugar while still hot. Allow to cool before combining with the whey and other flavorings.
- Seal the jar with a lid and allow to ferment for 2 to 6 days, depending on the temperature. Transfer the liquid to airtight bottles for a second fermentation of 1 to 3 days. Pour over ice and consume immediately or transfer to the refrigerator for 1 to 2 weeks.
- For lemonade, use ½ cup fresh lemon juice with the sugar and water.
- For a honey-sweetened version, replace the sugar with ½ cup raw honey.
- For root beer, use ⅓ cup of Root Beer Syrup in combination with the sugar, whey and water.