On a cold day, our bodies may ask for comfort and nourishment to kindle inner and outer warmth. This curried soup offers it all: hearty red lentil goodness, creamy coconut milk decadence, vibrant flavor pops of fresh cilantro and lime—and, it packs some heat. You can adjust the spice factor, alter the thickness and throw in any extra veggies or protein you have on hand. It’s a no-fail way to foster some self-love and/or please company with minimal effort (which equals more time under a blanket with your favorite book!). Added bonus: the house will smell wonderful.
Hearty Curried Coconut Lentil Soup
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled, grated or minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder or paste (mild to hot depending on preference)
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups water or broth
- 1 13 ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups cilantro, finely chopped
Salt & ground pepper
Lime wedges and crushed red pepper flakes for garnish
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, stirring until softened and golden brown. Add garlic, ginger and curry powder, sautéing until fragrant.
- Add lentils, tomatoes and water/broth. Set aside ¼ cup coconut milk (cream from top of can) for finishing and add remaining coconut milk to the saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until lentils are soft (25 minutes).
- Stir in 1 cup cilantro and season soup with salt and pepper.
- To serve: ladle soup into bowls, drizzle with reserved coconut cream and top generously with fresh cilantro. Serve with a couple of lime wedges and enjoy!