See how to make a garlic-flavored oil purée without using garlic cloves.
I use garlic chives, also known as Chinese garlic, which have flat spears rather than being hollow like regular chives, or I use ramps (ramsons). Because of their strong garlic taste, I like to combine them with another flavorful herb such as thyme, rosemary, or tarragon.
Garlic Chive Oil
- 1 cup garlic chives or ramps
- 1 cup thyme, rosemary, tarragon, or another herb
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil or expeller-pressed canola or grapeseed oil
- Place all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until smooth or to desired consistency, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Pour into small glass jars and refrigerate. Makes about 1 1/3 cups. Use within 1 month for freshest flavor.