This bread is a favorite in my family. My little ones love mashing up the figs and I love having their helping hands in the kitchen. The reward of eating this yummy, sweet bread isn’t that bad either.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup butter room temperature plus more for preparing pan
- 1 cup sugar plus 3 tablespoons for seasoning pan
- 1 cup ripe figs
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir the flour, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and vanilla extract together and set aside.
- Butter a 9x5x3inch loaf pan. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of sugar in the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl use an electric hand mixer to cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the butter while mixing continuously.
- Mix dry ingredients into the batter until just incorporated.
- Mash figs with a fork so that they still have texture. Add figs to the mixture. Fold in the nuts. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the bread on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Slice and serve.