This summer salad hits all the right notes, and it can stand to sit around for a moment.
If you want to guild the lily that is this salad, consider adding browned garlic slices to the mix. Peel and thinly slice 3 garlic cloves, heat about ¼ cup vegetable oil in a small frying pan, cook the garlic until golden brown, transfer to layers of paper towels to cool and drain. Scatter over the salad with the peanuts for some intense flavor.
Crunchy Celery Sweet Peach Salad
- 1 bunch celery about 8 stalks
- 3 ripe peaches
- 2 serrano or Fresno chiles
- 2 green onions
- 2 cups loosely packed herb leaves—a mix of mint, cilantro, and basil
- ½ cup roasted peanuts
For the dressing:
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 serrano chile (optional)
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
Make the dressing
- Peel and mince the garlic. Remove the seeds from the chile and mince it. Peel and finely grate or mince the garlic. Combine the garlic, chile, and ginger in a small bowl or measuring cup with the vinegar, oil, fish sauce, and sugar. Set aside.
Prepare the salad
- Pick off and reserve any leaves from the celery. Trim the celery stalks and cut them into thin slices on the diagonal. Peel and pit the peaches, if using; cut them into thin-ish wedges.
- Arrange the celery and peaches on a platter or wide, shallow bowl. Drizzle with about half the dressing and toss to coat. Remove and discard the stems and seeds from the chiles, then cut them into thin slices; cut the green onions into slivers. Scatter them, the celery leaves, and the herbs over the salad. Drizzle everything with the remaining dressing. Chop the peanuts and scatter them over the top. Serve.