This variation on the classic Greek spanakopita includes pine nuts and sun-dried tomatoes.
A cast-iron pan helps crisp the phyllo in a way most other pans can’t. In this recipe, the spinach doesn’t touch the sides of the pan, so it won’t discolor or react in any way.
A variation on the classic Greek spanakopita recipe with pine nuts and sun-dried tomato, and made in a cast-iron pan to really crisp the phyllo.
- 3 cups frozen spinach defrosted and coarsely chopped
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- ¼ cup pine nuts or walnuts toasted and coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup minced sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- ½ cup minced fresh dill
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 package phyllo dough sheets thawed in the refrigerator
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C.
- Squeeze out any excess moisture from the spinach.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, pine nuts, sun-dried tomatoes, feta, Parmigiano-Reggiano, dill, and nutmeg. Stir to combine. Stir in the spinach and season generously with pepper.
- Using a pastry brush and working quickly, lightly oil one side of a phyllo sheet and lay it, oiled side down, in a 10-inch skillet so it comes up the sides. Repeat with three more sheets of phyllo, making sure to lay them in different directions and leaving quite a bit of overhang.
- Spread the filling on the phyllo. Top with three more sheets of phyllo that have been trimmed to fit the skillet. Fold the overhanging phyllo on top, and brush with additional oil.
- Using a sharp knife, score the phyllo into six wedges.
- Bake the spanakopita for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the top crust is golden brown.
- Let cool until just warm. Cut along the score marks to serve.
Used with permission from Cast-Iron Cooking: Recipes & Tips for Getting the Most Out of Your Cast-Iron Cookware by Rachael Narins, Storey Publishing, 2016. Photography by © Keller + Keller Photography.
Calories: 432kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 104mg | Sodium: 1011mg | Potassium: 583mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 9845IU | Vitamin C: 9.4mg | Calcium: 472mg | Iron: 4.6mg