Hearty butternut squash, quinoa, and kale get simmered in a stewy tomato broth.
This simple recipe takes well to substitutes, additions, and improvisation. Add or subtract ingredients to suit your taste and soon you’ll have your new favorite vegan stew.
Butternut Squash Kale & Quinoa Stew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups (32 ounces) vegetable broth
- ½ cup dry quinoa
- 2 to 3 cups chopped kale
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and a few pinches of salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash, another pinch of salt, and stir. Let the butternut squash cook for a few minutes, then stir in the garlic, cumin, coriander, paprika and red pepper flakes. Add the white wine vinegar and stir to deglaze the bottom of the pan. Add the tomatoes, broth, and quinoa. Cover and simmer until the butternut squash is tender and the quinoa is cooked through, about 40 minutes. Halfway through the cooking time, taste and adjust seasonings. Add additional spices if you like.
- When the soup is nearly done, stir in the kale and cook about 5 minutes more, or until the kale is wilted. Taste and adjust seasonings again.