Shaved sprouts are delicious raw and make an elegant salad.
The key to this salad is big on flavor and even bigger on texture with firm sprouts, crunchy almonds, and creamy cheese. Fresh chiles can vary greatly in heat. If you want to play it safe, use 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon dried chili flakes instead for a dressing with a predictable bit of a kick.
Brussels Sprout Salad
- 1 pound brussels sprouts
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 jalapeno pepper or serrano pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 20 roasted salted almonds
- 1 ounce pecorino cheese
- Trim off the stem ends from the Brussels sprouts. Remove the darker external leaves. Use a kitchen mandoline or a sharp knife and a steady hand to cut the Brussels sprouts lengthwise as thinly as you can. Set them aside.
- Peel and mince the garlic. Put it in a large salad or serving bowl. Add the vinegar. Set aside.
- Seed and mince the chile. Add it to the garlic. Stir in the salt and olive oil. Add the Brussels sprouts and toss to combine.
- Chop the almonds and sprinkle them over the top. Use a microplane to grate the cheese over the salad.