In a field of rich appetizers, these crunchy, plant-forward bites are a nice break. The quick-fix vinaigrette offers a tart counterpoint to the sweet apple, bold cheese and earthy beets. You can toss the apples with the vinaigrette ahead of time, but wait to stir in the beets until just before assembling to keep their magenta hue from dominating the dish.
Blue Cheese, Apple and Beet Endive Boats
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coarse grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 medium Pink Lady apples cored and diced
- 4 to 6 steamed beets diced
- 4 heads endive leaves separated
- ½ cup chopped toasted pecans
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves
- Black pepper
- In a medium bowl, stir together vinegar, oil, mustard, honey and salt. Add apples, stirring to coat. Gently stir in beets.
- Place endive leaves on a platter. Spoon apple-beet mixture onto leaves; sprinkle with pecans, blue cheese and parsley. Drizzle with any remaining dressing, and sprinkle with pepper.
- This recipe comes to us from Edible Charleston.