Sweet, dark blackberries provide the perfect base for this crunchy crumble.
Like most crumbles, this one is at its best when served with a scoop of ice cream. Vanilla, cinnamon, or even a berry flavor. Whipped cream is also good, or consider a dollop of thick Greek yogurt or a drizzle of tart crème fraîche.
Not blackberry season? Know that baked goods such as this crumble work very well with frozen berries.
Blackberry Hazelnut Crumble
- 6 cups blackberries
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a mixing bowl, gently combine the berries with the cane sugar, lemon juice, flour, cinnamon, and ginger. Spoon into a shallow baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine the butter with the rolled oats, flour, hazelnuts, sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, and sea salt. Cut the butter into the mixture in small piece, and work it into the dry mixture with your fingers until the topping is coarse and chunky.
- Spread the crumble topping loosely over the berry mixture.
- Bake until the berry mix is bubbling at the edges and golden, 30-35 minutes. Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.