Avocado can do so much more than toast and guacamole. Try this silky, sweet breakfast treat to see for yourself.
This bowl was inspired by my travels in Vietnam, where avocado is often used in delicious smoothies. Avocado is an intriguing and totally underrated ‘sweet’ ingredient. Here it lends a lovely silky texture and great nutty flavor.
Avocado & Matcha Smoothie Bowl
- 125 ml (4 fl oz/ ½ cup) tinned coconut milk or coconut water
- 60 g (2 oz/ ½ cup) crushed ice
- 2 peeled bananas frozen and roughly chopped
- 1 avocado stone removed
- 2 ½ teaspoons matcha (green tea) powder
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- lime juice to taste
- honey to taste
- sliced or cubed avocado
- flaked coconut or shaved fresh coconut
- raw cacao nibs
- lime wedges
- mint leaves
- Whiz the coconut milk or water with the ice, banana, avocado, matcha powder and vanilla extract in a high-speed blender or small food processor until smooth. Scrape down the inside of the blender or processor bowl if required. If the mixture isn’t moving well in the blender, add a tablespoon or two of water or milk, being careful not to add too much liquid.
- Taste the smoothie and add a pinch of salt, a squeeze of lime juice and a drizzle of honey to balance the flavor to your liking.
- Spoon the thick smoothie mixture immediately into two chilled bowls and top with avocado, coconut, cacao nibs, lime wedges and a few mint leaves.
- To make it vegan, swap the honey for rice malt syrup, pure maple syrup or a couple of drops of liquid stevia.