Avocado on rye – instead of on the ubiquitous Instagram toast – is a Scandi touch.
The love of avocado seems to have exploded around the world. Here is a slightly upscaled version that I love to make on late weekend mornings—call it breakfast, call it brunch, call it an early lunch. Rye bread really is preferred for this. I even like to bake my own, but whatever bread you like is fine. Find more recipes in my book, Open Sandwiches.
Avocado, Asparagus & Poached Egg Open Sandwich
- 6 asparagus spears
- Sea salt flakes
- 2 avocados
- 4 slices of rye bread
- Salted butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Aleppo pepper
- 4 tablespoons cress or chervil leaves
- Snap off the tough ends of the asparagus, then cut the spears into 3 pieces. Blanch them in salted boiling for 1 minute, then drain them, slice each piece lengthways and leave to cool down.
- Cut each avocado in half, remove the stones, then peel and slice them.
- Place the rye bread slices on a worktop and spread the butter evenly on each slice. Place the asparagus on the bread, then the avocado slices.
- Poach the eggs, according to your preferred method. Place an egg on top of each sandwich. Sprinkle with Aleppo pepper and decorate with cress or chervil.