Go for delicious as well as healthful with the juicy red flesh of watermelon and the spicy elegance of fresh arugula.
Summer has its way of luring you to the wonderful side of freshness that seems to make it very easy to create quick and healthy dishes for your dining pleasure. The balsamic vinaigrette is lightly sweetened with pineapple juice, and everything tastes better with goat cheese on it.
Arugula adds a peppery kick along with loads of healthy antioxidants that really deliver on the nutritional front. These bitter greens are helpful in the digestive process as well as providing vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and fiber. When you pair it with the sweeter fruit elements, it brings a fine blend of flavors that only fruit can naturally deliver. The watermelon has a nice dose of lycopene and beta-carotene as well as vitamin C. It also helps nudge the body’s pH toward alkaline, another health benefit. It’s low in calories, so feel free to indulge in this very pretty and vibrant colored fruit.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Watermelon slices seeds and rind removed
- 5 ounces arugula
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, pineapple juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Arrange watermelon slices on serving plate and top with arugula greens. Drizzle vinaigrette over arugula greens and add crumbled goat cheese to serve.
*This recipe comes to us from Edible Atlanta. Megan McCarthy is a healthy-lifestyle consultant, spokesperson and chef. She also teaches cooking classes in Atlanta at Whole Foods Market, The Cook’s Warehouse and at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens as the Edible Garden Chef. Check her blog for recipes and upcoming events at healthyeating101.com.