Toss it with noodles, spread it in a sandwich, use it as a dip.
Arugula is peppery, combining it with raw garlic makes a full-flavored, intense sauce. It turns humble noodles into a special meal, and jazzes up any sandwich it gets spread in (yum, what is that?).
An intensely flavorful sauce.
- 4 cups firmly packed fresh arugula leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ⅔ to 1 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts or walnuts toasted
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Plunge the arugula into boiling water and stir to blanch it evenly, about 15 seconds. Immediately remove and plunge into ice-cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain and squeeze the water out. Blanching the arugula leaves first will keep this pesto a nice green color.
- Chop the arugula and put it into a blender. Add the garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil, and 2 tablespoons of the nuts. Blend for about 30 seconds.
- Add the cheese and pulse to combine.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until needed; it will keep for several days. Before serving, bring to room temperature. Add the remaining nuts as desired for a garnish