This dish really is fall-apart tender. And if you don’t have a schedule that’s going to let you check on it after the stated 10 hours, don’t worry—the pot roast will just keep getting better for several hours.
10-hour Pot Roast
This is the quintessential no-fuss slow-cooker dish—it's almost too easy to make, yet never fails to impress everyone.
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion salt
- 1 top round roast (7-pound), fat cap intact
- 2 tablespoons jarred beef soup base such as Better than Bouillon
- 1 can (6-ounce) tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons refrigerated garlic paste from a tube
- 3 cups chopped yellow onion
Used with permission. Excerpt from One to Five: One Shortcut Recipe Transformed into Five Easy Dishes by Ryan Scott, Oxmoor House, 2016.