You’ll never miss the gluten in this crisp, savory version of a puffy baked pancake.
Chickpea flour adds an extra nutty flavor to the mix and makes this Dutch baby gluten-free in the mix. Play around with the cheese, use different herbs, add a few sauteed or roasted aromatics to the mix—it makes a fun light supper with a simple salad.
Savory Chickpea Flour Dutch Baby
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 8 sprigs fresh chives
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup grated hard cheese
- Preheat an oven to 425°F. In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, and pepper. Put the eggs and milk in a blender and whirl to combine. Whirl in the flour mixture. Mince the thyme, parsley, and chives. Whirl about 3/4 of the herbs into the batter.
- Melt the butter in a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Whirl 2 tablespoons of the melted butter into the batter. Remove the skillet from the heat and pour in the batter. Sprinkle the cheese over the batter.
- Bake undisturbed for 15 minutes. Don't open the oven, but reduce heat to 350°F. Continue baking 20 more minutes. It should be puffed and golden, with the peaks getting brown. If you want the center more cooked and less soft, leave it in the oven another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Garnish with the remaining herbs. Serve cut into pieces or let people tear off pieces.