1,200- to 1,500- Calorie Meal Plans to Lose Weight Deliciously
- Cooking spray
- 1 ¾ cups wheat bran (about 4.5 ounces)
- 1 cup whole pitted dates (about 6 ounces)
- ¾ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup nonfat buttermilk
- ½ cup mashed ripe banana
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4.5 ounces whole-grain pastry flour (about 1 cup)
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place 12 paper muffin cup liners in the muffin cups; coat the liners with cooking spray.
Spread the bran on a baking sheet. Bake at 350°F for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring once.
Combine dates and juice in a saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat; uncover and let stand 5 minutes. Place date mixture in a food processor; process until smooth. Add buttermilk and next 4 ingredients; process until smooth.
Weigh or lightly spoon the flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine the flour, bran, baking powder, and the next 3 ingredients (through salt) in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add the date mixture to the bran mixture, stirring just until moist. Add the eggs, stirring just until combined. Spoon the batter into the prepared cups.
Bake at 350°F for 28 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean.
Remove the muffins from the pan; cool on a wire rack. You can freeze these muffins for up to 2 months.
- 1 small banana (90 calories)
- ½ cup 1% low-fat milk or milk substitute (51 calories)
- ½ tablespoon peanut butter (45 calories) to spread on the banana.