- 14 ounces sashimi-grade tuna
- 2 ripe avocados
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 teaspoons wasabi paste
- 1 tablespoon toasted white sesame seeds
- 6 cups freshly cooked hot rice (from scant 1 1/2 cups uncooked)
- 4 scallions, finely chopped, to garnish
- 4 small handfuls of shredded nori, to garnish
Cut the tuna into 3⁄8-inch thick bite-size pieces. Cut the avocados in half, remove the pits, and peel, then cut the flesh into 3⁄8-inch thick bite-size pieces.
Mix the soy sauce, sake, mirin, wasabi paste, and sesame seeds in a bowl, and add the tuna and avocado. Set aside to marinate for 10 to 12 minutes, turning over a few times.
Put the hot rice in four warmed donburi or deep soup bowls. Divide the tuna mix into four portions, and arrange on top of the rice, drizzle over any remaining juice, scatter with chopped scallions and nori, and serve.
Taken from Cook Japanese at Home by Kimiko Barber, Photography by Emma Lee. Published by Kyle Books 2017.