- 1 tablespoon lard
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to serve
- 1 large leek, white and light-green parts only, thinly sliced
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 cups Chicken Foot Broth*
- 2 cups lima beans
- 1 pound English peas, shelled (1 cup)
- 1 cup baby artichoke hearts, halved
- Finely ground unrefined sea salt
- 1/4 cup torn fresh basil
- 1/4 cup torn fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Warm the lard and olive oil in a heavy stockpot over medium heat. When the lard melts, stir in the leek and lemon zest and fry until they release their perfume and the leek softens, about 4 minutes. Stir in the carrots and fry, stirring from time to time, until crisp-tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
Stir in the broth, lima beans, peas, and artichoke hearts. Cover and simmer until the vegetables become tender, about 30 minutes. Season to your liking with salt, stir in the herbs and lemon juice, and serve.
Reprinted with permission from The Nourished Kitchen written and photographed by Jennifer McGruther (Ten Speed Press, © 2014).