- Kosher salt
- 3/4 lb. fresh pasta sheets
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups mixed spring vegetables (such as medium-thick asparagus, baby carrots, baby turnips, spring onions, and sugar snap peas), trimmed and cut into 1- to 3-inch long by 1/2- to 3/4-inch-wide pieces
- 1/2 cup shelled peas or peeled fava beans
- 1/3 cup loosely packed pea shoots or watercress sprigs; more for garnish
- 1/4 cup loosely packed chopped mixed fresh herbs, such as basil, chervil, mint, parsley, and/or tarragon; more for garnish
- 4 Tbs. cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 tsp. freshly grated lemon zest
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano for garnish (optional)
Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil. With a pizza cutter or chef’s knife, cut the pasta sheets into rustic strips about 1/2 inch wide.
In a 10- to 11-inch straight-sided sauté pan, bring 2-1/2 cups water, the garlic, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper to a simmer over high heat. Add the mixed vegetables and simmer briskly, adjusting the heat as necessary, until just crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a large plate. If using peas, simmer them until barely tender, about 2 minutes, and transfer to the plate with the slotted spoon. (If using favas, skip this step.) Raise the heat to high and boil the liquid until reduced to 1 cup, 3 to 4 minutes.
tip: To peel fava beans, shuck them and cook them in boiling salted water until tender, 1 to 2 minutes, then rinse them with cold water and peel off the skin.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta in the boiling water until barely al dente, 2 to 4 minutes. Drain.
Add the cooked pasta, vegetables, favas (if using), pea shoots or watercress, herbs, butter, and lemon zest to the broth. Toss over medium-high heat until the butter is melted, about 1 minute.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve garnished with pea shoots or watercress, fresh herbs, and Parmigiano (if using).
nutrition information (per serving):
Calories (kcal): 390; Fat (g): 14; Fat Calories (kcal): 120; Saturated Fat (g): 8; Protein (g): 12; Monounsaturated Fat (g): 3; Carbohydrates (g): 55; Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 1.5; Sodium (mg): 460; Cholesterol (mg): 95; Fiber (g): 6.