- One 14- to 16-oz. loaf freshly baked cornbread, cooled completely
- 3/4 lb. sweet Italian sausage, casings removed and crumbled
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh, flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tsp. cumin seeds, toasted in a dry skillet for 2 to 3 minutes until fragrant
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 2 cups turkey or chicken broth, more as needed
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter or extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Vegetable oil or cooking spray, for baking dish
Break the cornbread into roughly 3/4-inch chunks. You should have about 8 to 10 cups. Set aside.
In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned and fully cooked. Add the onions, celery, and red bell peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until they're slightly softened but still have some crunch. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
Add the bread to the large mixing bowl, along with the parsley, scallions, oregano, cumin seeds, and chili powder, and toss well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Pour 2 cups of the broth over the stuffing. If the liquid isn't immediately absorbed and pools at the bottom of the bowl, you should have enough; just toss the mixture occasionally for a few minutes until the liquid is absorbed. At first, the bread cubes may feel wet on the outside and still be dry on the inside, but they'll even out as the stuffing cooks.
If the bread immediately sucks up the initial 2 cups of liquid, add another 1/2 cup of broth and taste the mixture. The bread should be moist but not soggy. Add up to another 1/2 cup of broth if necessary.
Taste the mixture and add salt and pepper as needed. If the mixture doesn’t taste as rich as you’d like, add enough melted butter or olive oil to suit your taste. Once you’re satisfied with the flavor of the mixture, stir in the beaten eggs.
Heat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with oil or cooking spray. Spread the stuffing in the dish, cover tightly with foil, and bake until heated through, about 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake until the top is lightly browned and crisp, another 20 to 30 minutes.
nutrition information (per serving):
Size : based on 10 servings; Calories (kcal): 220; Fat (g): 13; Fat Calories (kcal): 110; Saturated Fat (g): 5; Protein (g): 9; Monounsaturated Fat (g): 4.5; Carbohydrates (g): 18; Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 1.5; Sodium (mg): 680; Cholesterol (mg): 95; Fiber (g): 2.