- 6 ounces beef shoulder
- 1 large tomato, roughly chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, to taste (optional)
- Pinch of coarse sea salt Pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of black pepper
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced cabbage
- 1/4 cup mashed avocado
- 4 lime wedges
Combine the beef, tomato, onion, garlic, broth, vinegar, spices, salt, and pepper in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until so tender it can be pulled apart with a fork, about 2 hours 30 minutes, adding more broth as needed.
Uncover and cook until the remaining liquid reduces to form a thick sauce.
Pull the beef, still in the pot, into shreds using 2 forks.
Place one-fourth of shredded beef onto the center of each corn tortilla and top with 1 tablespoon cabbage, 1 tablespoon avocado, and a squeeze of lime.
Makes 2 servings (2 tacos each)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Reprinted from “Eat Clean, Stay Lean” by The Editors of Prevention with Wendy Bazilian, DRPH, RD. Copyright (c) 2015 by Rodale Inc. By permission of Rodale Books. Available wherever books are sold.