What's not to love about this versatile grain? It's perfect as a side and in salads, soups or savory pies. From a vegan lentil quinoa and sweet potato shepherd's pie perfect for the last ...
- ½ cup quinoa
- 2 medium yellow summer squash or zucchini, thinly sliced or diced
- 1 cup organic mixed salad greens
- 1/3 cup peeled and thinly sliced jicama or apple
- 2 tsp. finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp. sunflower seeds
- Juice of 2 medium lemons
- ½ tsp. honey
- 2-3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes, optional
Cook quinoa according to package directions. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork, cover and set aside.
Meanwhile, steam squash in a steamer basket over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes or until tender. Add to quinoa mixture and toss to combine. Add salad greens, jicama, basil and sunflower seeds; toss again.
In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice, honey, olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Drizzle over quinoa mixture and toss to combine. Season to taste and transfer mixture to a sealed container and place in the lunchbox with a spoon and napkin.