- 2 heads garlic (about 4 oz.)
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- ½ cup finely chopped carrots
- ¼ cup finely chopped celery
- ½ tsp. thyme leaves
- 1 qt. no sodium added chicken stock
- ½ cup ditalini pasta
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup asparagus, cut into ½” pieces
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped parsley
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Slice the garlic heads in half along their equator. Place together in a large piece of foil. Wrap tightly and roast until softened and golden brown (about 30 minutes).
While the garlic is cooking, start the soup. Heat a soup pot over medium heat. Add the oil and sauté the onions, carrots, celery, and thyme until softened and just starting to brown (about 5 minutes). Add the stock. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
When garlic is cool enough to handle, squeeze out the garlic and discard the skins. Stir the garlic into the soup.
Add the ditalini and cook until al dente (about 10 minutes). Add the peas and asparagus and cook another 2 minutes or until crisp tender.
Divide between 4 bowls and sprinkle with parsley.
Courtesy of PastaFits.org.