- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 large yellow onion, minced
- 2 1/2 pounds new potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 2/3 cups green olives, cracked and marinated in fresh lemon juice for a few hours
Warm the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, black pepper, paprika, cayenne, bay leaf, and enough water to reach about halfway up the sides of the potatoes and cook for 15 minutes. Add the olives and cook until the potatoes are tender and the flavors are blended, about 10 minutes longer. Taste and adjust the seasoning with more black and/or cayenne pepper if needed. Serve hot.
Photo: Leigh Beisch
Excerpted from The New Mediterranean Jewish Table: Old World Recipes for the Modern Home by Joyce Goldstein. Published by University of California Press.