- kosher salt
- 8 oz. (2 cups) dried penne
- 9 large eggs
- 1-1/2 oz. finely grated Pecorino Romano (about 1-1/2 cups using a rasp grater); more for serving
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 6 oz. thick-cut bacon (about 4 slices), cut crosswise into 1/8-inch strips
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced (2/3 cup)
- 6 medium fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pasta Carbonara Frittata
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 small head radicchio (6 oz.), halved and thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 3 oz. (3 lightly packed cups) arugula
- 2 Tbs. chopped shallot
- Flaky sea salt, such as maldon, and freshly ground black pepper
Make the fritatta
Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 425°F. Bring a 4-quart pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions. Drain. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk, then whisk in the pecorino and cream. Heat the oil in a 10-inch, ovenproof, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Add the onion and sage and cook until the onion is translucent and the bacon is crisp, about 5 minutes. Season with 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Add the pasta and toss to distribute the ingredients evenly. Gently pour in the egg mixture. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 12 to 15 minutes. Loosen the edges with a silicone spatula and slide the frittata onto a cutting board.
Make the salad
Whisk together the oil and vinegar in a small bowl. Put the radicchio, arugula, and shallot in a large bowl and toss with just enough of the vinaigrette to coat. Season with 1/2 tsp. sea salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Sprinkle more black pepper on the frittata. Slice and serve with additional pecorino and the salad.
Make Ahead Tips
The pasta can be cooked 1 day ahead.
nutrition information (per serving): Calories (kcal): 390; Fat (g): 25; Fat Calories (kcal): 220; Saturated Fat (g): 9; Protein (g): 16; Monounsaturated Fat (g): 11; Carbohydrates (g): 25; Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 3; Sodium (mg): 550; Cholesterol (mg): 245; Fiber (g): 2.