- 28-oz. can crushed or ground tomatoes
- 2 Tbs. red-wine vinegar or lemon juice
- Kosher salt or table salt and freshly ground black pepper
- (optional) 1 tsp. dried (or 1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh) oregano, basil, marjoram, thyme, or parsley
- (optional) 3 to 5 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
Whisk the tomatoes, vinegar or lemon juice, and any optional ingredients together in a bowl. Add just enough water to thin the sauce so that it is easy to spread. Use thinner sauce for pizza and thicker sauce for stromboli and calzones. Season with salt and pepper.
Make Ahead Tips
The sauce can be refrigerated for a week or frozen for up to six months.
nutrition information (per serving):
Size : per 1/4 cup; Calories (kcal): 20; Fat (g): 0; Fat Calories (kcal): 0; Saturated Fat (g): 0; Protein (g): 1; Monounsaturated Fat (g): 0; Carbohydrates (g): 5; Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 0; Sodium (mg): 170; Cholesterol (mg): 0; Fiber (g): 1.