- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 ½ cups (240 g) diced onion
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon (10 g) minced garlic
- 4 cups (280 g) diced eggplant (1-inch [2.5 cm] cubes, about 1 small eggplant)
- 2 cups (240 g) diced zucchini (.-inch [1.3 cm] cubes, about 1 medium zucchini)
- 1 ½ cups (240 g) diced tomato (about 1 large tomato)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground clove
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups (140 g) roughly chopped kale
- 8 slices bread
Recommended bread: Parmesan Kale Bread
Yield: 4 sandwiches
In a medium-size pot over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of the oil for a minute or two and then add the onion. Add about ¼ teaspoon of the salt to help the onion sweat. Cook the onion for about 5 minutes, until it starts to become translucent. Add the garlic and cook another 2 to 3 minutes. Add the eggplant next, and cook, stirring fairly regularly so that the eggplant doesn’t stick to the bottom. If it does, you can just add a little more oil. Cook the eggplant for about 5 minutes, then add the zucchini. Add the tomato next, along with the cinnamon, cumin, clove, and paprika. Add about ½ teaspoon of salt and stir to combine, cooking for another 7 to 10 minutes, or until the vegetables soften a bit but aren’t fully cooked through. Add the kale and cook until wilted. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons (30 ml) oil and stir to combine. Check for seasoning and add more salt if necessary.
Lay out the slices of bread and divide the mixture evenly among 4 of the slices. Top each with other slices of bread.
Excerpted from Superfood Sandwiches by Katie Chudy (Fair Winds Press).