52 Nourishing Recipes to Kick-Start Your Day
- 120 g (4 ½ oz/1 1⁄3 cups) rolled (traditional/porridge) oats
- 2 tablespoons sultanas (golden raisins) or sliced dried dates (optional)
- 160 ml (5 ½ fl oz / 2⁄3 cup) milk
- pinch of sea salt flakes
- coffee syrup
- 1 tablespoon rapadura or dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dutch processed cacao powder
- 60 ml (2 fl oz/ ¼ cup) freshly brewed espresso or good-quality strong instant coffee
- lemon juice, to taste
- natural or Greek-style yogurt
- sliced fresh (medjool) dates
- raw cacao nibs
Combine the oats, sultanas or dates (if using) and milk with 625ml (2 ½ fl oz / 2/3 cups) water and a pinch of salt in a heavy-based saucepan. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture comes to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5–6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Add a little more milk or hot water to adjust the consistency.
Meanwhile, for the coffee syrup, stir the sugar, cacao powder, a tiny pinch of salt and coffee until dissolved. Add lemon juice a little at a time, to taste.
Serve the oatmeal (porridge) into bowls, swirl the yogurt through and drizzle with the coffee syrup. Scatter with the sliced dates and cacao nibs.
About this recipe
“Add a hit of caffeine to your morning oats, bringing two of the best things about breakfast together in one bowl. The lemon juice in the coffee syrup adds an extra, exceptional dimension to the flavor.” – Caroline Griffiths
Recipe ©Breakfast Bowls by Caroline Griffiths, Smith Street Books, 2017. Photographs ©Chris Middleman.