- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 quart low-sodium vegetable broth
- One 28-ounce can puréed tomatoes
- One two-inch Parmesan cheese rind (optional if you want to make this vegan)
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch kale, stems and tough center ribs removed, leaves roughly chopped (about 6 packed cups)
- Two 15-ounce cans organic cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
Makes about 3 quarts (6 servings)
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until slightly translucent, 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
Add the carrots, celery, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour in the vegetable broth and puréed tomatoes. Add the Parmesan rind, thyme, bay leaves, 2 teaspoons of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, cover the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Add the cannellini beans and kale and cook for 15 minutes more, stirring occasionally, so that the kale wilts. Discard the Parmesan rind, bay leaves, and thyme. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.
Excerpted from Pollan Family Table © 2015 Old Harvest Way, LLC.