- 3 tbsp (43 g) grass-fed butter, ghee or avocado oil, divided
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs
- 1¼ tsp (4 g) sea salt, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, thickly sliced
- 4 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves removed and stems discarded
- ½ lb (230 g) chorizo, casing removed
- 1/3 cup (18 g) sun-dried tomatoes
- ½ cup (67 g) pitted green olives
- 1/3 cup (79 ml) freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¾ cup (177 ml) chicken bone broth
- Handful of fresh cilantro, for garnish
1. Add 2 tablespoons (29 g) of healthy fat of choice to the Instant Pot and press “Sauté.” Once the fat has melted, add the chicken thighs, sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of sea salt and brown for about 2½ minutes per side. Remove the browned chicken to a plate and set aside. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon (14 g) of healthy fat of choice, onion, garlic, thyme leaves and the remaining ¾ teaspoon of sea salt, sautéing for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chorizo and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Press the “Keep Warm/Cancel” button. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, olives, orange juice and bone broth. Give it a good stir. Add the browned chicken, making sure it’s submerged and some of the liquid is ladled over it. Place the lid on the Instant Pot, making sure the steam release valve is sealed. Press the “Poultry” setting, then increase the time using the “+” button until you reach 20 minutes.
2. When the Instant Pot is done and beeps, press “Keep Warm/Cancel.” Using an oven mitt, “quick release”/open the steam release valve. When the steam venting stops and the silver dial drops, carefully open the lid.
3. Serve immediately, topped with fresh cilantro. Serves 4.
Note: This meal is delicious served alongside simple roasted vegetables.
About this recipe
“My husband has Basque heritage. We love the simple yet bold flavors of Basque cuisine. This delightful dish is full of spicy chorizo, sun-dried tomatoes, sweet and tangy orange juice, floral thyme and salty olives. It’s meant to be shared family style with those you love.” -- Emily Sunwell-Vidaurri
Reprinted with permission from The Art of Great Cooking with Your Instant Pot by Emily Sunwell-Vidaurri, Page Street Publishing Co. 2017. Photo credit: Emily Sunwell-Vidaurri
Related Stories & Recipes
They’re braised in a coconut water bath.
Fresh fruit and a protein-packed breakfast strata.